COVID-19 ACTION HIGHLIGHTS
Connecting Kids without Internet (Statewide)
- This new initiative is aimed at helping get internet for the tens of thousands of kids who do not have reliable internet at home and a device to access virtual learning.
- Family Support Center has English and Spanish-speaking operators from Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m., and can be reached at 1-888-616-2476.
- The Nevada COVID-19 Task Force, is led by Chair Jim Murren, the Elaine Wynn Foundation, Communities In Schools and The Public Education. The Task Force is partnering with COX Communications and Clark County School District to ensure that all students have equal access to virtual learning ahead of the school year.
- See our Distance to Goal for the most up-to-date stats of students reached and students connected to internet and with a device at www.ConnectingKidsNV.org.
TeleMental Health Care for Rural Students (Elko)
- UNLV’s community mental health clinic, the PRACTICE, is offering virtual mental health counseling sessions to rural students.
- This innovative model started in 2012, a partnership with UNLV The Practice and Communities in Schools of Northeastern Nevada, is now expanding from Elko and Winnemucca to other parts of the state.
Career Paths for CIS Students (Reno)
- Tesla is offering an exclusive new career development program for CIS students at Sparks High School.
- The goal is to empower students to achieve in the career world after they graduate or while also continuing their education.
Direct Care to Kids (Las Vegas)
- 25,000 totes of hygiene products, books, and school supplies were distributed to students after schools closed.
- Three nonprofit CEOs joined forces to form the Direct Care to Kids initiative. It is a partnership comprised of the Public Education Foundation, Spread the Word Nevada, and Communities in Schools Nevada.
- Generous community partners included Sands Cares who donated personal hygiene kits and AT&T who delivered the kits.
ADDITIONAL NEWS STORIES
- Nonprofit undergoes paradigm shift to serve students in their homes during closures (Nevada Independent) – April 9, 2020
- With Schools Closed, Nonprofits Scramble To Assist CCSD Students (KNPR) – April 21, 2020 #DirectCaretoKids
- The ‘how’ has changed, but our ‘why’ remains the same: Ensure kids stay in school and graduate (Nevada Independent) – July 23, 2020
- WATCH: Inequality in education, a 13 Action News special – (KTNV Ch. 13) – August 5, 2020 #DigitalDivide
- CIS priority remains the same: helping kids overcome barriers to education (Reno Gazette Journal) – August 18, 2020
- ‘Wherever our kids are, whatever it takes; Communities In Schools is here to break down barriers to academic success and graduation’ – (Elko Daily) – August 20, 2020